Waiting
An inevitable part of our lives. Waiting.
Personally I dread any sort of long queues. There are very few things I would stand in line for(I am still trying to figure out which those few are!). I am sure my dislike has something to do with being the 10th of a long line of offspring!
But there's usually a lot more periods of waiting in our lives apart from these.
Waiting to get married. Waiting to get a job. Waiting to have a baby. Waiting for a healing. Waiting for direction from God.
Waiting to meet your children. The list is unending.
As someone once said patience isn't about how long you wait but your attitude while you wait.
One scripture that I love is when Jesus said, 'Dont worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself'. (Mt 7:34a)
In my walk with the Lord i've grown to treasure my Todays. What always has and always will matter is- Today.
When my today is joyful my life becomes joyful. When my present is exciting so is my life. So essentially it is not really circumstances or incidents that create our lives but our responses in the Today.
In John 10:10 Jesus talks about the thief who comes to steal kill and destroy. If you ask me what does Satan want to destroy in my life I would confidently say, Today. He just wants my today. So he tries to put all kinds of lies in my head about how awful everything is and will be.
But the God of peace crushes satan underneath His feet.
The Word of God clearly tells us that God turns ALL things into good for us. So then do we really have a reason to destroy our present with those little/big stressors?
Do we dare to think we know better than God about what should happen at which time in our lives? Yet we worry about jobs, marriage and the rest as if we are God Himself.
In Hebrews 11:6 we would have read that without faith it is impossible to please God. So then the opposite also must be true I reckon. Not having faith or not trusting God is probably the easiest way to displease Him. Alas how often we do break His heart.
I came to Australia 5 months back in February and started looking for a job 2 weeks after my arrival. Id kind of assumed I would start working from March. A month passed and there was no sign of anything. Then two and soon three. You could imagine what it must have been like. We had so many payments like fees, rent, Indian emi's scheduled. God put all our worries to rest and time and time again provided for our needs beautifully. Soon it was no longer a worry how we would meet our needs as we learnt to completely depend on Him. Whether we knew or not in the present, how or by what means He would provide, we just beleived. And He did.
But not getting a job can still be intimidating. I found it rather wierd as I applied for jobs that were looking for exactly my experience and qualifications and would not even get called for an interview. There were days I applied for more than 20 jobs!!
But I held my peace. I had decided I wasn't going to lose my Todays in despair.
Our home is situated on a lake and its just beautiful. I told myself to enjoy it and make the most of it while I had the precious time. I spent time just relaxing, cooking, conversing with God, spending idyllic time with my husband. I had a feeling that God was granting me a holiday! So I treated it like one! Now imagine if I had cribbed and complained and gone into depression because I was unemployed? What a horrid waste of a free holiday it would have been!
So I trusted Him who keeps us from falling and learnt many a lesson in this period. There were moments when I felt low but God would set my perspectives right the instant I went to Him.
After 4 months I got the job that God had planned all along in a great place and role.
My husband and I are looking forward to having a baby for the past 6 years. We both adore children. That may seem like a long period of waiting!
However we have by Gods grace never thought of 'what if'. We look forward to being parents and prepare ourselves joyfully in all the ways we can in the present to receive them. We talk about the things we will do with our kids and i dont mean in a wistful manner! Now don't you think that's a better attitude than wasting time in depression?
We certainly do.
Have you noticed how the more desperately we wait for something the more we find ourselves complaining when we receive it!
It is good to look forward with hope in our hearts for Gods blessings that are in store for us. But that shouldn't stop us from enjoying the seemingly smaller opportunities we have in our present to give and receive. Expect and be a blessing Today!
Don't waste another beautiful day mulling over your tomorrows.
Make up your mind to trust in His plan and the smile will soon be back on your face.
'Dont worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself'. (Mt 7:34a)
Comments